As at FRIDAY, 6:00 A.M., 6th OCTOBER 2017
TROPICAL STORM NATE MAINTAINING ITS TRACK
ADVISORY NO. 4
NEMO and the Met Service hereby informs the public that as at 6:00 a.m., local time Tropical Storm Nate with winds of 45 miles per hour was located near 17.8 North Latitude and 84.8 West Longitude or approximately 240 miles East of Belize. The pressure was at 996 milibars. Nate is moving to the north-northwest at 14 miles per hour. The main threat to Belize is expected to be mostly thunderstorms and heavy rain which are causing localized flooding. Rainfall amounts expected to increase along the coast and north today TS Nate moves east of Belize as it moves into the Gulf of Mexico later today.
People in low-lying areas are advised to move to higher grounds. If you need to go to a shelter, know which shelter you will go to and workout how you will reach the shelter.
It is not advised to venture out to sea. Fishers and people on the Cayes should continue monitor Tropical Storm Nate. Crossings; in the Cayo district the Succotz Ferry is closed, and in the Stann Creek district, the Coastal road is closed due to flooding.The public is advised to stay out of flood waters.
Drivers are reminded to reduce their speed, put on their low beam, and hazard lights when driving in wet conditions.Do not drive through flood waters.
NEMO’s Emergency Coordinators can be reached as follows:
- Corozal, Mr. Williard Levy at 623 0237;
- Orange Walk, Ms. Suliema Celiz at 605 5046, or Mr. Aragon at 636 6094;
- Belize District, Mr. Lionel Tillett at 6154834 and Mr. Kevin Pollard at 621 2275;
- San Pedro, Ms. Vanessa Parham at 632 3698;
- Belize City, Ms. Timrose Augustine at 600 8672 and Councillor Willoughby at 615 9793;
- Belmopan, Ms. Clare Moody at 630 9791;
- Cayo, Mr. Al Westby at 630 3224 or Mr. Johnny Ramclam at 625 2526;
- Stann Creek, Mr. Keith Emmanuel at 615 9711; and
- Toledo, Mr. Kenton Parham at 630 9787.
- The NEMO Emergency Hotline is 936.
NEMO is on full alert and continues to monitor Tropical Storm Nate. Please take heed to the advice issued by NEMO and the National Meteorological Service.
-End of Release:-
National Cluster Committee Meeting
Advisory #2: Tropical Storm Grace
Advisory #1: Tropical Storm Grace